As the largest and oldest
animal welfare organisation in the Western Cape, no other
organisation has the same impact on the lives of animals
as the CoGH SPCA does. Our state-of-the-art animal hospital;
experienced and well-staffed Inspectorate; dedicated Horse
Care Unit; large kennel and adoption centre and highly
competent team of administrators and fundraisers, sets
us apart from others.
The CoGH SPCA can make a difference because we employ some
of the hardest working people, whose passion for animals
helps them find ways to cope with the heart-wrenching abuse
they are exposed to on an almost daily basis.
Despite the challenges of having to attend to an ever-increasing
case load and numbers of animals handed into our care,
they carry out their duties diligently and with compassion,
enabling this society to boast a very low staff turnover
Digital Marketing and Communications Officer
A vacancy for a Digital Marketing and Communications Officer has opened up in the Communication & Resource Development Department of the Cape of Good Hope SPCA. If you wish to apply, please submit your CV to Lise-Marie firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 1 May 2014.
The position of Digital Marketing and Communication Officer reports to the Communication, Resource Development and Education Manager. The primary function of this position involves maintenance, development and promotion of all online/digital platforms and channels that include our web site, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube account. This person answers, redirects and manages online complaints/queries/compliments/etc. and therefore needs to know the organisation well and be entrenched in its policies and beliefs.
The Digital Marketing and Communication Officer needs to produce content for internal and external communications through corporate and creative writing, assist with fundraising activities and events, engage in frontline reception duties, and generally assist in creating a professional and respected public profile for the society.
Duties include the following:
- Maintain and develop the Society’s social media platforms and web site.
- Generate publicity around initiatives and events through online platforms
- Draft, refine and issue press releases around initiatives, events and media queries to online community diaries, bloggers and online publications
- Source, and where necessary, take suitable photographs to send to media, as well as be used on online platforms
- Takes responsibility for some of the Society’s digital newsletters and e-mailers.
- Coordinate online media monitoring.
- Assists with departmental administrative tasks where needed.
- Assist in managing the organisation’s public profile, ensuring a professional and respected image is maintained
- Assist with content management for publications such as the organization’s magazine, newsletters, annual report and other corporate awareness materials.
- Contribute to the promotion of productive relationships with sponsors, media and supporters through Social Media
- Assist with customer relations by responding to public queries and complaints
- Assist with planning and implementation of fundraising initiatives and events
- Assist at exhibitions and events where needed
- Deep compassion for animals and their welfare
- National Diploma and/or Degree in Communications/Marketing or relevant field
- 2 years’ experience managing Online Media accounts including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, You Tube
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Good administrative skills with a natural attention to detail
- Computer literate and technically proficient
- A general understanding of traditional (print/broadcast) as well as modern (online) media/communications channels
- Comfortable with the online and social media environment
- Must be able to work well individually as well as be a good team player
- Must be deadline driven and able to work under pressure
- Excellent diplomacy and interpersonal skills
- Code 08 Driver's Licence
- This position does include working after hours and on weekends
- Experience in the non-profit area and/or with fundraising activities
- An understanding of the South African media landscape
- Aptitude for photography
- Experience with events management
- Ability to use graphic design software such as Adobe Photoshop
- Able to speak Afrikaans and/or Xhosa
- Knowledge of the SPCA policies and practices
Start date: As soon as possible.
Remuneration: R5000-R6500 monthly
Location: Grassy Park, Cape Town
Job Level: Junior/Mid